Pathways to College
Capital Region Sponsor-A-Scholar works in the public high schools in Albany, Schenectady and Troy, NY to prepare our Scholars for success in college and beyond.
We carefully select students in 10th grade. We commit to providing each young person with long-term academic, mentoring and financial support through college graduation.
We work one-on-one to connect our Scholars with the people and opportunities that change their lives. Our students are at the core of everything we do.
We invest in them from 10th grade until they complete their degree, and we're right there with them every step of the way. We take a holistic approach to student success, not only providing academic guidance, but also helping students address the other challenges and barriers they face in both high school and college. It’s a big investment of time, effort and resources over many years, but we hear again and again from our alumni that our commitment makes a difference.
Because of our selective process and small-group cohorts, we create strong networks of support for our Scholars, and it is this community that helps them to succeed. Our students are supported by their peers, their mentors, our staff and our alumni. Our unique model makes it possible for us to work individually with each Scholar to help identify goals, overcome challenges, build skills and fulfill his or her potential.
At every turn, our students have transformed this initial investment into outstanding results; our Scholars graduate from two or four-year colleges or universities at nearly two times that of their low-income peers.
Thanks to the support of our donors, Sponsor-A-Scholar provides the foundation for success for every student:
- individualized academic guidance and college counseling;
- funding for Advanced Placement courses and materials;
- PSAT/SAT preparation and test fees;
- weekly academic coaching sessions and tutoring for Scholars in high school;
- the long-term commitment of an adult volunteer mentor;
- assistance with financial aid applications, college essays and scholarship research;
- connections to potential internships and enrichment programs;
- opportunities to visit colleges and explore career pathways.
Pathways to College is at the very heart of what we do. The dedicated support from Bank of America,The Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Capital Region, and The Bender Family Foundation makes this program possible.