Maysa Ahmed, University at Albany Class of 2016
Capital Region Sponsor-A-Scholar works in the public high schools in Albany, Schenectady and Troy to prepare our Scholars for success in college and beyond.
We carefully select students in 10th grade. We commit to providing each scholar with academic, mentoring and financial support through college graduation.
To be considered, Scholars must show academic promise, demonstrated financial need, and a drive to pursue studies in higher education.
Scholars must complete a written application, and they must secure written recommendations from at least two teachers.
Parents of Scholars also must complete a written application indicating their support for their child's aspirations.
As a final step, the students must participate in an in-person interview with the Academic Coordinator in their respective high school.
Once selected, Scholars sign a contract committing to:
- Attend all classes, events and weekly homework sessions;
- Take academically challenging coursework;
- Participate in enrichment activities including community service;
- Work with an adult mentor who will help them overcome challenges in high school and college;
- Ask for help when they need it.