An education changes everything.
College graduates are likely to earn more income over their lifetime, volunteer, vote, have better health, and live longer. We are with you every step of the way from high school until you earn your college degree. You are supported throughout your education with academic support, financial assistance, and ongoing mentoring and guidance.
Learn more and complete an application.
Pathways to College
Capital Region Sponsor-A-Scholar works in the public high schools in Albany, Schenectady, and Troy, NY, to prepare students for success in college and in their chosen career.
Students who apply for and are selected into the program are provided with long-term academic guidance, one-on-one mentoring, and financial support. Throughout the process, students are presented with opportunities to build knowledge and skills as well as networks and connections that can change the course of their life.
Student support includes:
- Individualized academic guidance and college counseling
- Funding for college level courses and materials in the high school
- PSAT/SAT preparation and test fees
- Weekly academic coaching sessions and tutoring for students in high school
- A long-term commitment of an adult volunteer mentor
- Assistance with financial aid and scholarship applications and college essays
- Connections to potential internships and enrichment programs
- Opportunities to visit colleges and explore career pathways
- Summer learning opportunities
To apply to become a student:
Once in college, we ensure each student is ready for the challenges ahead, thanks to regular check-ins with our dedicated staff and continued support from their mentor. In addition, at the end of every successful semester of college coursework, the student receives a financial stipend to defray additional costs associated with attending college.
These funds are used to pay for books, travel costs, art supplies, and other needs that arise throughout the academic year. Stipends are provided by the student’s sponsor, a donor who makes a long-term financial commitment to invest in the student’s success.
Since our first class of students enrolled in college, more than 300 have earned a two- or four-year college degree.
becoming a student in our program?