Sponsor–A--Scholar provides tutoring, mentoring and financial assistance that changes the lives of the students we support. Mentors are the secret ingredient in our Scholars' successes. Mentors help our Scholars to build the confidence they need to achieve their academic dreams.
Mentors promise to:
- Complete a background check and share two references prior to being matched;
- Attend mentor training;
- Meet with their Scholar at least four to six hours per month;
- Commit to long-term relationship with a Scholar from high school through the end of the student's first year in college;
- Stay in regular contact with their student by text, phone and email in between meetings;
- Offer non-judgmental support;
- Help to broaden their student's worldview by offering opportunities to attend events; explore places and research colleges and careers;
- Ask for help when they need it from Sponsor-A-Scholar staff.
Scholars promise to:
- Attend all classes, events and weekly homework sessions;
- Take academically challenging coursework;
- Participate in enrichment activities including community service;
- Work with an adult mentor who will help them overcome challenges in high school and college;
- Ask for help when they need it from their mentor or Sponsor-A-Scholar staff.
Mentors in our program offer an additional perspective to the student without replacing the parents, guardians, teachers or guidance counselors who already support our Scholars. Mentors serve as a trusted adult friend who can help connect the student to new experiences and ideas.
All of our mentors have earned at least a two-year college degree so that they can guide Scholars through the college application and selection process.